Health Benefits of Massage
Some people associate a massage with feeling good. It’s a great feeling to have all those muscles kneaded and stretched so that you become more relaxed, but the true benefit of a great massage isn’t just about the great feeling. It’s about the great health you can enjoy. You can learn more about our Toronto Massage Therapy here.
So how can massages enhance your health? Basically, if you’re stressed out, a massage can alleviate the stress to make you feel more relaxed, and stress has been related to all sorts of health problems:
Health Complications that May Be Improved with Massage
• Heart problems. Stress can lead to high blood pressure and eventually to more serious heart problems.
• Smoking. Some people turn to smoking when they’re stressed, and everyone knows that smoking is an unhealthy habit that can damage your health in many different ways.
• Obesity. Others turn to more food for comfort when they feel stressed, and that’s a habit that can quickly lead to obesity. Aside from the social difficulties of being overweight, obesity can also lead to very serious medical conditions. Stress also boosts the cortisol levels, which can cause you to store more belly fat as a result.
• Asthma. Stress can make your asthma feel much worse. Astonishingly, a parent under chronic stress may even increase the possibility of developing asthma in their children.
• Headaches. You can get tension headaches and even migraines when you’re feeling stressed out.
• Diabetes. If you already have type 2 diabetes, then stress can worsen this condition by boosting your glucose levels. Stress can also encourage unhealthy lifestyle habits like overdrinking and food bingeing, which makes diabetes much worse.
• Anxiety and depression. It’s not surprising to discover that anxiety and depression are much more likely for you if you suffer from chronic stress. One study even found that people who worked stressful jobs were 80% more likely to develop depression after a few years on the job.
• Aging acceleration. There’s even been some proof that high levels of stress can affect how you grow old. A study that compared the DNA of people under constant stress compared to other people showed that stress apparently can make people seem 9 to 17 years older than they really are.
• Alzheimer’s. Stress can cause brain lesions that can make Alzheimer’s disease worse, but a massage that reduces stress can slow down how the medical condition progresses.
North Toronto Health Offers RMT’s Serving the Greater Toronto Area
These are the problems that a massage can alleviate or even prevent when it eliminates the stress you feel by making you feel relaxed, and that’s not to mention other benefits of a massage. A massage can help your muscles heal after an injury. It improves your circulation, which also promotes healing.
So what do all these facts mean? What they mean is that a massage isn’t a luxury you treat yourself with once or twice a year. It can (and should) be part of your regular weekly schedule because it can help so much in maintaining your health. So schedule a massage regularly, and become much healthier in the process!
North Toronto Health
124 Merton St, unit 208
Toronto, ON M4S 2Z2